fbpx

Myths surrounding Apprenticeships!

Over recent years, apprenticeships have come a long way. They provide the perfect gateway for individuals looking to kickstart their dream careers. However, there are still many misconceptions surrounding apprenticeships and PTS are here to help dispel them. 

Apprentices tend to be for those who are seen as ‘less academic’. 

Not true! Whilst apprenticeships are seen as more hands-on, apprenticeships come in a variety of levels, ranging from level 2-7.    

The benefit of completing a degree apprenticeship, rather than the traditional route of university allows individuals to learn and gain a recognised academic qualification whilst gaining valuable work experience.   

Apprenticeships are only suited to those looking for ‘manual’ jobs. 

This myth is a common misconception of apprenticeships. Over recent years, apprenticeships now range in a variety of sectors. Yes, you can complete an apprenticeship in construction or engineering, however, there are now apprenticeship standards in business admin, marketing, sales and many more qualifications! 

All apprentices receive the minimum wage 

All apprenticeship wages are down to the employer. It is a legal requirement for all apprentices to receive at least the minimum wage. However, employers may wish to pay more. Depending on the sector and the level of the apprenticeship, businesses have been known to pay up to £20,000 with yearly increases. In the long-term, apprentices can earn more than those who complete a degree, due to their level of experience.  

Individuals can only complete an apprenticeship if they’re aged 16-18 years old.  

Incorrect! You are never too old to do an apprenticeship. There is no upper age limit for becoming an apprentice, although funding arrangements do differ if the individual is over 24 years of age. Apprenticeships are not just for those fresh out of school/college, looking to start their career. Individuals may be looking for a career change, trying to upskill within their existing role or perhaps are looking to secure a new and exciting role! 

Apprenticeships don’t lead to permanent employment. 

Although completing an apprenticeship doesn’t guarantee permanent employment, many employers do offer apprentices full-time contracts after completing their training! If an apprentice isn’t successful in securing full-time employment, there is no need to worry! Completing an apprenticeship provides individuals with nationally recognised qualifications, making them more employable when looking for future job roles.  

Recruiting an apprentice is costly and time-consuming.  

Under the apprenticeship funding rules, businesses with an annual pay bill in excess of £3 million must use their levy funds to pay for apprenticeship training. However, non-levy employers can share the cost of apprenticeship training with the government. Those employers are required to contribute 5% towards the cost, whilst the government pays the remaining 95%. 

Regarding the cost of recruitment, if you are an employer who wishes to recruit an apprentice through Professional Training Solutions, our service is FREE! Find out more.

Individuals can be overqualified for an apprenticeship.  

This depends on what an individual is qualified in, and what apprenticeship they want to do. Even if the individual holds a degree, a Masters, or even a PhD, they can still complete an apprenticeship if they are learning a substantive new skill! 

Apprenticeship learning cannot be tailored. 

Apprenticeship standards are continuously being developed. Employers have a voice in how standards are developed, meaning when an apprentice completes their course, they are ready for employment with a skill set that employers look for. 

Apprenticeships do not add value to a business and can be an inconvenience. 

Apprentices add vast amounts of value to any business. Apprenticeships are known for improving productivity in the workplace and building employee retention. Those who are already full-time employees and decide to complete an apprenticeship, will improve their skill set and offer lots of value to their organisation by bridging a skills gap. 

20% off-the-job training only consists of college.   

Off-the-job training doesn’t always consist of college learning. Other forms of training count towards 20%. These could include, shadowing an employee, attending webinars, learning a new skill in the workplace and more. All forms of 20% depend on the course expectations and what the college or training provider has agreed.  

We hope this blog has busted the myths surrounding apprenticeships. 

  • If you are an employer looking to recruit an apprenticeship, contact us today 
  • If you are an individual looking to complete an apprenticeship, check out our latest vacancies!