The Level 3 Award in Preparing to Work in Home Based Childcare will prepare learners to set up a home-based childcare setting as a registered childminder. It is suitable for those who wish to be employed in home based childcare settings as childminding assistants or other home childcare roles.
The qualification consists of three units:
Unit 1 – Learners will gain the knowledge required to work with children in a home based childcare setting. Topics include:
- legislation and regulation relating to home based childcare
- safeguarding and child protection
- health and safety in a home-based childcare environment
- promoting equality, diversity, and inclusion
- day-to-day care routines for children
- working in partnership
- children’s learning and development play
- the role of observation.
Unit 2 – Learners will understand how to set up a home-based childcare business. Topics include:
- leading and managing a home based childcare setting
- financial and taxation requirements when setting up a home based childcare setting
- creating a business plan
- registration requirements for home based childcarers.
Unit 3 – Learners will explore the role and responsibilities of becoming a Nanny. Topics include:
- partnership working
- expectations required of the role
- the role of advisory, guidance and support services
- how to plan steps to become a Nanny.
Although it does not provide direct progression, the subjects covered in this Award make a useful introduction to our Early Years Educator qualifications.
A paediatric first aid qualification is a requirement of registration for childminders. Learners may wish to consider the Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid.
The qualification is suitable for learners wishing to work as:
• registered childminders
• childminding assistants
• au pairs
• other childcarers in home based settings.